Saturday, November 7, 2009

Katie Holmes on the Cover of Elle

Ok, enough people have asked, and, honestly, I am getting tired of typing the same instructions to individual people.  Not that I don't love you all! I will just put it in one place for everyone to reference...

Obviously, I am talking about Katie Holmes hair on the her Elle cover. It is a beautiful picture, and her hair looks gorgeous, but how does one achieve that style at home? I am going to be honest, she has someone fluffing her hair every 10 shots to look like this.....but a girl can dream.

Still I will break it down, step by step, how to come as physically possible to this flawless look as possible.

Visual Inspiration




Besides your blow dryer, you will need,



 A large round brush



 A mousse












 A flat iron













Start with wet hair and apply some volumizing mousse. I like Aveda's Phomollient, shown above.

Focus your attention with the dryer first to the bangs if you have them, just to be sure they don't dry funky.

Then, tip your head upside down, and blow the roots dry. Pulling them away from the head with your other hand.

Once, the roots are dry, get the ends mostly dry as well, with just the dryer.

When the hair looks dry but still feels damp, start using a round brush. I clip the hair up from about the ear, all the way around to the other ear, up with a clip.

When you are drying with a brush always make sure you are using tension and blowing the hair down the hair shaft. This helps close the cuticle and make the hair smooth and shiny.

Do the entire section that is not in the clip, just slightly under. If it isn't perfect don't worry.

Next run a flat iron over this section quickly, focusing on the ends to take most of the curl out. You don't want it stick straight, but slightly angled in towards the face. To do this hold your flat iron with a slight angle inward. This also helps to tuck under fly aways.

Let the clipped up section down, and again section away the crown area. From the crown to the front hairline and about 3 inches wide. Clip that mohawk section back up.

This section I would also blow slightly under but with this section as you are releasing the hair from the brush, sweep it to the back of the head instead of just straight down.

Now for the third section. This is the most important section. When I am doing this section of my own head I literally turn off the blow dryer and set it down in between each small subsection that I do. Then I take the next small sub section and get it positioned in the brush before I turn the dryer on to it.

Start this section in the crown and take horizontal sections all the way across the 3 inch section and only 1 inch thick. Then clip the rest of the section forward so you don't pick up extra hair in the brush.

Repeat the same as above, moving forward toward the hair line.

Once you get to the front, take the bangs and blow then back as well.

Now, run your fingers through your hair to finish the style. Rearranging the hair how you like it to fall.

If any pieces are too tucked under, quickly go over them with the flat iron to lessen the curl.

I am sure they also used some kind of texturizing product on the ends to make it more piecey, which you can do if you would like. I just hate the way those products feel in my hair.

I hope this helps!

Don't forget to enter my blog contest in the post below this one!

Have a good hair day!
<3 Andi

2 comments:

  1. Love this pst AndiGirl! I've been contemplating getting this cut but don't think I'm ready yet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that would be such a big change for you!

    ReplyDelete